Who is a TD SIPP for?
SIPPs can be held and invested in by any UK resident (or anyone who has been in the last five years) who is over the age of 18.
SIPPs are ideal if you are comfortable making your own investment decisions and you want a tax efficient way to save for your retirement.
The tax efficiency of this product is subject to your individual circumstances and may be subject to change.
The TD SIPP could be the right choice if you:
- are looking to build up a pension fund in a tax-efficient way
- understand that growth is not guaranteed
- are prepared to commit to having your money tied up, normally until at least age 55
- require access to wider investment opportunities, such as investment in a portfolio of listed shares
- understand that the tax treatment may change
- wish to control and direct your own investment choices
Why a TD SIPP?
A SIPP is a pension that gives you greater flexibility and control over your savings and where they are invested. It is your personal tax efficient wrapper enclosing investments chosen by you to meet your own needs.
You can manage the TD SIPP using the same award winning TD Direct Investing online platform and this accessibility means that you stay closer to your portfolio rather than waiting for an annual statement from your pension provider.
The other advantage of a SIPP is that the range of investment options gives you the flexibility to vary the content of your portfolio to suit your circumstances - you make the decisions and take the responsibility.
TD SIPP Benefits
- Tax relief on contributions to your TD SIPP depending on your tax rate
- Accessible online platform for trading and monitoring your portfolio
- Create your own personal retirement strategy
- Full range of investment options; UK & international equities, bonds & gilts, investment trusts, unit trusts, OEICs, REITS and Exchange Traded Funds
- No initial set up fee
- 24/7 access to market information and research tools provided by Morningstar®, including tools like Fund Selector, X-Ray and Quickrank
- Multi currency facility, hold cash in 9 major global currencies (GBP, USD, CAD, EURO, SEK, CHF, HKD, AUD & SGD)
- Set up automated monthly investments into selected investment types with our Regular Investing option
All personal contributions to your TD SIPP (whether you are employed or self employed) are payable net of basic rate tax (20% for 2014/15). As an example, if you pay a net contribution of £800 we will reclaim £200 from HMRC and credit this amount to your TD SIPP account once it has been received.
If you are a higher rate tax payer, you are entitled to the higher rate of tax relief which you can claim through your tax return, reducing the cost of your contribution from £1,000 to £600.
If you pay tax at the highest rate you can claim a further £50 through your tax return reducing the overall cost of your contribution to £550.
The tax benefits mentioned above are subject to change in the future.
As people are living longer and healthier lives it is important to think about how to save for retirement.
A pension is one of the most effective ways to save because you generally get tax relief on the money you save in a pension at your highest personal rate.
It may not be suitable if you:
- want unrestricted access to your money
- are only likely to require access to a limited range of investments, such as those available under insurance company personal pension or stakeholder pension plans
- wish to invest directly into assets such as commercial property that are not currently available through the TD SIPP
- want advice from your provider about your investments
- are over the age of 74 and want to open a SIPP
If you have any doubts about the suitability of a SIPP or you need further advice you should seek advice from a suitably qualified financial adviser.
What you need to know before you open an account
Please make sure that you have read and understood all of the relevant documentation below.
Further details are also available in the Terms of Service which you should refer to before applying for an account
All investments carry a varying degree of risk. It's important that you understand the nature and risks of the different investments available through TD Direct Investing. You may not get back the money you invest and you should not view the past performance of investments as a guide to their future performance. Read more about the risks of investing.
Your money and investments
Before applying for an account it is important you understand how your money and investments will be held and the investor protection schemes that apply. We will hold your money in accordance with the FCA's client money rules and we may pool your investment with those of other customers. Read more about how we will hold your money and investments.
Conflicts of interest
We have a conflicts of interest policy that identifies circumstances that constitute, or may give rise to, conflicts of interest which pose material risk of damage to one or more of our customers. Read more about our conflicts of interest policy.
Summary of charges
Trading commissions start from £5.95 depending on how often you trade. Our standard online rate is £12.50.
If you hold funds a platform fee will apply. See our rates and charges.
Key Features Illustration
When applying online you will be asked to produce a Key Features Illustration, which gives you important information to help you decide if the TD SIPP is right for you. You will be taken to AJ Bell's website to do this. Before applying online you can take a look at AJ Bell's Illustration website and read the Key Features Illustration fact sheet and Key Features Document.
Open a TD SIPP
Call 0800 138 1900
Lines are open Monday to Friday 7.30am to 9pm and Saturdays 9am to 3pm
Return the form to us at Customer Accounts Dept., TD Direct Investing, Exchange Court, Duncombe Street, Leeds LS1 4AX
The TD SIPP is administered by AJ Bell Management Limited. AJ Bell Management Limited is Incorporated in England and Wales under registration number 3948391. Registered Office: Trafford House, Chester Road, Manchester, M32 0RS. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Register Firm Reference Number 211468). Sippdeal Trustees Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of AJ Bell Management Limited, Incorporated in England and Wales under registration number 4050222. Registered Office: Trafford House, Chester Road, Manchester, M32 0RS. Sippdeal Trustees Limited does not conduct any regulated activities, and is, therefore, not regulated.